Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

As for the aftermath of the night I left - he doesn't think there was any reason for me to leave that night. I disagree and have told him why. It was devastating to him that I left. He was angry, drunk and hurt which is how he explains the threats. I get it but it's still not okay. He is very unhappy that I "made him look like an A-hole" to our families. Thinks our problems should be kept between us.
So obviously he does not see anything wrong with terrorizing his partner and of course he would think that it should be kept between you two. That's what most abusers do, isolate their victims. Once the cat is out of the bag, then you have support out there and don't have to put up with his drunken rampages again.
You deserve a partner who will treat you with respect and will not abuse you and no one HAS to stick around and put up with someone else's drunken BS.
I don't want to sound pessimistic but it really looks like he is taking no responsibilities for his actions and is putting the blame on you for people knowing about his drinking.
Make sure you always keep your keys, cell phone and purse by the door. You might also consider getting a little debit card and putting a few hundreds on it to tidy you up for a couple of days when he relapses. 99% chances he will drink again

Ps: if I had known what I know today, I would have thrown my boyfriend out and broken up with him permanently the minute he relapsed and got loud and belligerent with me. Relationships like that only go South unless the alcoholic commits to recovery for himself and work his behind off.