View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Karivan
Radar

Hi Renee. Follow your dreams. Go to Ashland and worry about the money later. If your parents are low income, you're eligible for a lot of financial aid. There are also a lot of scholarships out there that don't have anything to do with your GPA in high school. The first thing to do is talk to the financial aid office at Ashland and get signed up for all the financial aid that you're eligible for. Most universities have work study programs and you would be able to work part time at the university as well as go to school.

One thing that many people don't realize is if they are under 24, the school automatically considers them dependent and they will insist on having copies of the parents tax returns for financial aid. If your parents haven't claimed you on their tax returns for 3 years, you're considered independent and they will base your financial aid on your income, not your parents. I didn't claim my younger son from the time he was 18 so now that he's 22, the school he goes to gives him financial aid based on his salary. If they based it on mine, he wouldn't get any.

Do it as quickly as possible because financial aid takes months to process and you want the money to be there when school starts.

School is hard enough without dealing with the crap at home. You deserve a fresh start. Renee, I have to tell you that from the start I've been impressed with your maturity and your positive outlook. You have your head on better than many of us that are years older. You know what's right for you and you can't let your parents negativity affect your life any longer. You will probably have to fight your family for what you want. Keep your eye on the dream and don't let others get in your way.
Karen