Thread: Is he serious?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
allthatsgood

Pravchaw, my RA son who turned 24 today went to an out patient rehab and then to an inpatient rehab but at the time, he was not ready or serious about embracing recovery. He was only out days from the rehab before he picked up again. At that time, I was unaware of the Salvation Army's rehab. Had I been, I would have given him the number. But what my husband and I realized was that he could no longer live with us and we told him as much. We gave him the chance to go to another rehab because insurance was willing to pick up the bulk of it but only for 28 days. We made him aware that even after the 28 days he could not come home and needed to go a sober living environment which this rehab offered. I think he was stunned by us putting boundaries in place which I suppose we never really did to this extent before. After 2 days in the rehab he left and called us to come pick him up at the bus station. The answer was no to coming home and yes for a ride back to the rehab. I had no expectations that anything was going to take hold for him. But he obviously made the decision to try to turn his life around. He has been sober for well over a year. As we celebrated his birthday today, I thanked my higher power for all that he has done. His recovery is one day at a time, as is mine. It's not been easy but I pray we both can stay the course. You and your son will be in my prayers and wish peace for the both of you.