Old 07-06-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Lyoness
Night owl

Originally Posted by Dubwon View Post
Woah, you are super duper cool! I bet u haven't heard that term in a very long time. I teach kindergarten, well I used to, and I have a lot of silly expressions that slip out from time to time. In the process of reading your response I remembered what I wanted to respond to you about a few messages back, namely that when you took away your alcohol and marijuana abuse back in the 80's was it (?) that you still didn't address the problem. We take away the substances that we abuse but we don't realize or know enough to fix the problem that lead us down that road in the first place. I think that was the jyst of it no?

I tried to address my problems that lead me to substance abuse back in the 90's, but I think in the treatment centre and the subsequent safe and recovery houses, I did not quite get it nor did I solve the problem.

There are things that happened that I want to write about, but I am going to save it for tomorrow and focus on the present and what happened over the course of the past six days, because it is relevant to how I am feeling, it is most of the reason I feel the way I do right now and it will also provide me with a means to reply to your thoughtful response.

I am super glad to have someone in my corner. I was at the hospital 2 days earlier than I was supposed to be, in order to get my prescription filled and meet with my doctor, only he was out of the country at a medical conference in Germany. The head nurse for some reason took it upon herself to try to teach me a lesson, namely that opioids are dangerously addictive and that I was at the point where I was addicted and I needed to decrease my dose.

She called a doctor to come in to see me and told him that I was an addict and not to give me my prescription. I was listening to her talking on the phone to him in Korean. When she hung up the phone I tried to keep my cool because if one displays "drug seeking behavior" one will be cut off. So I calmly explained to her that I knew it looked bad on paper, but that every morning I wake up in pain and I work very hard to maintain my core strength and flexibility by doing physiotherapy and traction at home almost every night.

I went on to explain that just as my doctor, a neuro surgeon, told me to do, I was keeping a very detailed diary about my pain, every day, my physio, traction, sleep, how much medication I take etc. I work my butt off to maintain it and the reason I am on such a high dose, (240 mg a day is high even for terminal cancer patients here in Korea...they have serious issues with opiates due to an old emperor who had a son who over dosed on opium or heroin or something and he banished it from the kingdom or something to that effect) is that my doctor can look at any day and what I did to cause a certain injury or what combination of circumstances lead to a sharp increase in pain and immediately advise me on how to change my routine.

I have actually made great strides because of this diary, but that is another story, I didn't have it with me and I think even if I did, she was just one of those old school Korean ladies who does not like foreigners and she thought I was abusing the system and she knew that she could mess with me while my doctor was away. So the other doctor came in. He looked at my file, asked me what I wanted and I said, I just want my prescription filled for one week so I can go to the beach in Busan (South Korea's second largest city, down on the southern tip of the peninsula) and he said, OK.

Then I walked out and waited for the nurses to give me my medication forms, its different here...doctor doesn't write prescription and hand it to you, also all opiates are in a National Government Computer Database and are monitored by "police." So if a patient gets meds from a doctor in one city they can't get in another city or hospital, and they can't get more meds until their prescription runs out on the data base. Doctors can re-fill, but they don't like to do it. My doctor understands and does it for me all of the time because I can show him when, where and how I got the pain, and he can see how far I have come with my traction, and the yoga / meditation he suggested (he is a super cool Buddhist guy) and physio, but the nurse doesn't see any of that. She just sees a "bad foreigner" who is "addicted" who needs to be reigned in.

So she went in and told the doctor not to give me the script and I had to sit at home sick for 2 days, for absolutely NO REASON AT ALL!!!!! Unfortunately that is when "the feces hit the rotary oscillators" as they say (the **** hit the fan hahaha) and I had a string of bad luck, mostly my fault but some of it was just people kicking me while I was down. I mean, really badly hurtfully kicking me while I was down. I swear it was like someone wanted to see me hit bottom and off myself or something.

Well, as you can see from above and my little haha, I am feeling better. It certainly helps to get it out in the open. It took me a while to figure out what PM meant, but I got it now...I am a little slow on the uptake when it comes to the blogosphere and message boards / forums / basically anything technology related at all...hahahaha....it's sad.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am a bit swamped trying to find work to climb out of a debt crisis at the moment so I don't have a ton of time, not really a crisis, but it has been made into a crisis. Why all of these new crises arose suddenly after the nurse messed with my well being is beyond me, but I will have a look around in the stickies as soon as I can get a chance...I can't see them though...I guess I have to actually look in the newcomers section like you said. Well thanks again, I feel much better. Talk with you soon on a PM. Ciao for now Lyoness, always a pleasure. I would like to know more about maintenance, maybe we can chat about that next time. My eyes are getting tired. I had better go. Bye bye.
You're right, I haven't been called super duper cool, well ever I think! Thanks for the compliment.

How areyou doing today? I'm really glad you decided to write more fully what was going on. Just talking, or writing, about stuff helps so much. Getting it outside of us where we can look at it a little better, and hopefully release at least some of the pain, is incredibly helpful.

I still sit here rather fuming at how you were treated but it's no different from so many people's experiences anywhere, really... It just sucks! My own practitioner dumped me for being an addict after I painfully came clean to her and asked her to still be my doctor and she assured me she would. And she did it in essentially a form letter after seeing me for six years. Socked me where it hurt! Although I did not have to go through the physical nightmare that you did.

I think that we in the States are heading close to that police state you are describing in Korea. My prescriptions show up on a state database for controlled substances and even at my suboxone doctor, his computer shows any rx I get anywhere, without my knowledge or consent. I know we have a huge opiate problem in this country, well the world, but I don't know if this is the way to go either. I still believe people deserve safe and appropriate pain treatment, addict or not. It's the safe and appropriate that is the issue though.

I can sort of understand how Korea came to its position, by reading your mini history. Reading about the Opium Wars in the nineteenth century is a real eye opener. England basically forced China into producing opium, so though I do NOT agree with repressive measures, I can begin to understand them in a historical context. The problem is when real human beings, like you, suffer because of them.

Though you're on a high dose of oxycontin it sounds like your pain doctor is really trying to do the right thing. He just needs to help you start lowering your dose instead of staying the same or increasing. I was using up to 500mgs of oxy a day, snorting or shooting it, obviously NOT with my doctor's knowledge! You definitely do not want to end up there. My doctor would give me three months rx at time so that was part of the problem. (Another part was me, uh, altering the rx's to suit my needs....that's how I got caught, eventually, trying to fill three months rx's in less than a month but that's another story for another time.)

It is so hard having chronic pain and addiction. It really leaves us in a rough place. I definitely had hyperalgesia though when I was using I denied it. How could my beloved oxy cause me more pain? I have migraines, too, and when I'd run out of oxy I always wound up in the ER with severe ones. The doctor there kept telling me it was because of the oxy, but I refused to believe that, too.

After starting the suboxone my fibromyalgia got way worse. So bad it had me contemplating suicide (again) because I just didn't want to go back to a life of constant, untreated pain. Now that I'm eight months into my taper I am finding the hyperalgesia is diminishing a lot. I still get flares but now they are getting a little shorter and I'm not having the disabling pain in between time. I'm thinking the same would be true for you, too. I also read that a lot of people find that once they are completely off the opiates, other types of pain meds and modalities start being a lot more effective.

It takes a long, and yes, painfilled, time for our bodies to start to know how to produce endorphins and treat pain from within again. And believe me, even a few months ago I wouldn't have written any of this. It is only through time and experience and believing people I trust that I am finding all of this to be true. It's NOT easy. It stinks, actually. But it really is beginning to look like there is life after opiates, even for those of us in constant/chronic pain.

Right now, though, you need help with so much more. It's great that SeekSobriety sent you those links. Sounds like NA has worked for you before. And just having some face to face support is lifesaving. I am hoping that maybe there you can find more options to help with your other issues, too. Are you still without a place? Are there hostels, YMCA's or other types of inexpensive housing available there? If it comes to the worst, are there homeless shelters? ('m afraid I"m pretty ignorant about Korea, sorry.)

I'm as non-tech as you, believe me! The stickies are on the main page above the threads when you go to the newcomer's section. And I didn't know what PM was either, the longer your here the more you'll learn all this stuff.

P.S. I love "the feces hit the rotary oscillators"! I love polite euphemisms for more expressive terms. Another favorite I read was about someone needing a "rectal craniotomy"--I'll let you figure that out. And for myself, I often suffer from cerebral flatulence! Just a little levity, hope it helps!