Old 07-06-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
BabyJane

Hi Dub,

Just wanted to welcome you to SR and chime in on what I have read this far : it sounds like you've been through a lot lately. I'm so sorry you're in this place. I've been there and it just sucks. There's no two ways about it. I was there myself about 8 months ago... My addiction started out with the Vicodin and Oxy and eventually led to Street Heroin. I had surgery, so I needed the pills for a very short time, but I didnt consider that with my past history of alcoholism I was at risk for developing an opiate addiction. I remember getting to that point where I couldn't get clean but I couldn't keep going the way I was... I tried to detox on my own at home a few times, which was hell. It never lasted. I couldn't seem to get past that first week because I was SO sick. Yea I have been right where you are.

Tapering isn't a bad idea, in my opinion. I should say, to be safe, that going to a doctor who specializes in addiction IS a great idea but given that you're living overseas I can understand how you might have challenges. I found this great website called "Howtoquitheroin.com" (yes, I know, Oxy is not heroin but opiates are opiates and its a great website for people hooked on any opiates wanting to get sober. The guy who runs the website was amazingly supportive. He has been clean for many years and he really does take the time to reply to e-mails and help with motivation. He has a "warm turkey" method, as he calls it, for people who don't want to do "cold turkey" - I ended up doing that and it helped me. I had no insurance so a doctor was not something I had regular access to although it would have been good! Just keeping it real. I also do AA / NA and ended up finding a great therapist and psychiatrist once I got back on my feet a bit and could afford it. All helpful. I exercise a lot too, which is awesome for those of us who need to get well, and even though I'm also no longer the athlete I once was, I still make it a point to do whatever I can. Even walks or short hikes.

You probably know most of this already. I don't want to drone on and on. Just wish I could do more. I HATE what these drugs do to good people!!! Why doctors are just writing scrips without greater considerations of the potential for these issues is beyond me. So many people are getting trapped in addiction and its because they were taking the advice they were given by professionals... Sad.

I just hope things get better for you. You CAN get your life back. You will. Just gear up mentally because as you know, there's no painless way to do this. Discomfort is enevitable. It is worth the fight though. I look back now and I'm so glad to be free of those chains. I'm not where I want to be in life, I have wreckage to clean up, but its getting better. I'm hoping you can be doing even BETTER than me in 8 months! Hang in there.