Thread: Day One
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bagofrainbows

Originally Posted by NorCaliGal View Post
...I seem to be developing LESS of a tolerance for alcohol as time goes on. I can no longer stomach mixed drinks or hard alcohol, the smell of wine is nauseating, and now even just a few beers leaves me feeling just horrible the next day (I've felt the same way I feel today after just two beers the night before!). Even though I should consider this a good thing I guess that will possibly help me stick to sobriety, I can't help thinking that it's odd. Seems like most people have increased alcohol tolerance as they go along?
I've been drinking 2-4 times a week for the past five years and can only be called a binge drinker. That being said, I've experienced the same feeling. Like only having two glasses of wine is just as bad as seven jack and cokes. And you know what I think? I think it's partially in your head. I used to wake up and immediately try and remember every little step I took the night before. In some way, I was just trying to show myself I was in control. And if I couldn't remember the last stop light by my house after only one glass of wine, I would feel terrible shame.

I've slowed down considerably to a level that people without alcohol problems would call healthy or normal. I still have some work to do (I should definitely not have a dull pain where my liver is) but it's a step by step thing for me.

A couple of times a week (when I haven't drank the night before), I'll wake up and feel hazy. And sick. Like I'm having a hangover. And I'll drag myself to the shower and brush my teeth. And somewhere around 7:45 a.m., it'll dawn on me: I haven't drank in a couple of days and I should not be feeling that bad. And just like that, the mental fog goes away and I'm licensed to be happy. It sounds like downright insanity, but it's something I think we all sort of deal with - getting rid of the shame.

Good luck.