View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
UncleMeat69

Originally Posted by redflags View Post
Mick3580. - I'm finishing up my 9th step. I have one last amends to make and am going to do it on Sunday evening. My sponsor really wants my 9th step done before I go, to which I'm in agreement.

All - thank you for your suggestions & Big Book quote! I think getting past this experience will represent a milestone in my recovery... It's just a squirrely road to get past & I'm reaching out for support every place I can get it. If
I keep fit spiritually when I practice the 5 parts of Step 10 on a regular basis.
My sponsor told me to do this as soon as I finished Step 8 and even when doing
my amends. He said it is our "insurance plan."

Middle of Page 84 of the Big Book says:

Step Ten suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for a lifetime. Then Bill W. gives us the five Parts:

Part 1.) Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment and fear. This is what we did in our 4th. Step - so by doing this each day we are doing a daily Step 4.

Part 2.) When these crop up, we ask God to remove them at once. We did this in Steps 6 & 7. If not removed we continue to Part 3.

Part 3.) We discuss them with someone immediately. Just like we did in Step 5. During that discussion our sponsor will probably ask "Did you make amends to the person you harmed ?" If not, proceed to Part 4.

Part 4.) And make amends quickly if we have harmed someone. Steps 8 & 9. If all of the above fail to resolve our resentments then proceed to Part 5.

Part 5.) Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. (First half of Step 12.) Thus, go to a meeting and find a suffering newcomer and take him/her for
coffee and listen to their situation. That will take you right out of your own problems and you will be doing the second half of Step 12 - carrying the message.

When I ask the question in AA Meetings - "Does anyone know the 5 parts of the 10th. Step" - I seldom get an answer, just a lot of puzzled looks.
When my sponsor laid this on me the first time in my sobriety he said many alky's lives would be a lot easier if they did Step 10 regularly.

Living this way has indeed proved to me that working and living the 5 Parts of the 10th. Step is the easier, softer way. I never have had to do a lifetime 4th. Step again because I am doing one every day. In my first 4th. I had to list a lifetime of garbage that was buried deep down inside me that I was carring around for years. Booze enabled me to bear the weight. But in sobriety I can't carry that kind of a load and have serenity at the same time. You can't be full of s--t and feel good.

Step 10 is called a Maintenance Step for an important reason. By working it regularly I am working Steps 4 thru 9 every day and Step 12 regularly when possible. Isn't that how "We practice these principals in all our affairs ?

Keep up the good work Red.