View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
I do think wine is one of the more sneaky and insidious of the alcoholic drinks. I never realized wine was such a choice of drink for alcoholics until coming to this site. I think now that wine is more dangerous than the other alcohols because is comes with a positive stigma. People associate wine with sophistication...from the wine tastings to wine tours. I think a lot of upper middle class women get caught up in this wine thing. Now when I think back I remember a lot of my colleagues at an old firm always talking about drinking wine...I never thought much about it, but could you imagine people sitting around talking about what type of whiskey or vodka they had the night before and discussing the different flavors, etc. I never understood the wine crap.
Yep, all of the above. It was my drink of choice, and I was suckered in by the sophistication and that it was "normal", respectable, associated with good food, associated with health, glamorized, and it just went along with the whole writer/artist glamorization that seems to exist. Acceptable in society, and seemingly benign.