Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AceyMack

Fear and Loathing - Pretty Much Everywhere

Hey, All,

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I've posted in a few threads but haven't created one yet.

I'm currently just over 7 months sober, and am in the "hate my former self" phase of recovery. I started drinking when I was 18 (late bloomer, I know!), and became an extremely heavy drinker about 11 years ago at age 26. Overall, I've been pretty crappy to a lot of people over the years - dream job, gone; wife, gone; money, well, you know where that went.

Gave up drinking cold-turkey (no drugs / programs), which is a unique struggle in itself.

Right now, I'm with a great girl who's the mother of my incredible daughter. They're my motivation. But, I'm plagued with fear that my past life will come back to haunt me. It's just difficult to speak louder than the demons sometimes. And, like I said, I was pretty crappy to people.

So, I guess I'm looking to know that this isn't an uncommon situation. That the fears and anxieties are normal, and - hopefully - temporary. At least, manageable. Or maybe they're not. In which case, this is going to be a roller-coaster life.