Thread: Headlines
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Mr. Hero's drinking is not a "mistake". It is a conscious decision to pick up a container of alcohol, pour it in his mouth, and swallow it. Anything short of acknowledging that is an "excuse".

The "why" of it all can be interesting (or not...*yawn*), but the "why" has no bearing at all in ending an addiction.

The way to stop being addicted to alcohol is to stop drinking it. Period.

(See the Buddhist parable of the poisoned arrow for an apt analogy of the necessity of teasing out "root causes" or "unresolved issues" to ending addiction.)

If one wants to explore ones psyche after that and revel in existential angst...knock yourself out, but it has not one thing at all to due with ending addiction. Authentic soul searching and meaningful introspection cannot effectively take place in the presence of an intoxicant.

Round and round discussions are what addictions thrive on. They serve to allow the addiction to continue. Those kinds of interactions do not get the addicted individual closer to resolution, quite the opposite. They allow the behavior to continue openendedly, because hey, you know, i just "cant figure out why I do this". I'm trapped in this cycle until I can "figure it out". That's total hooey. The answer starts with this: Stop. Putting. Alcohol. In. Your. Body.

Less talk, more action. Mr. Hero needs to quit drinking for good.