View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
wolfpackfan45

I can relate totally. For the last 23 years I've had to go through some very extreme health issues with my family members. To make a very long story short my father died, my husband had a heart attack & triple bypass at 42. My mother was diagnosed with the same cancer as my dad (they got hers early) & my husband then went into heart failure. During this time my daughter had both her hips replaced ( due to a hip condition she wore braces & had numerous surgeries all her life) when she was in college, but had to have both redone on an emergency basis last summer because of metal toxicity from the titanium hips. My husband lost his job as my youngest son entered college. My daughter's fiance stole all her $$ from her savings account while she was in medical school and the wedding was called off. I'm now the primary breadwinner on a teacher's salary & my son ends up in the hospital due to alcohol and anxiety. He told us he's an alcoholic. Needless to say, I broke down. The anxiety I was experiencing was unbelievable. I just couldn't hold up under all of it anymore. Every time the phone even rang I'd panic & run. I had to sleep with a pillow over my head because I was afraid someone would call in the night & tell me something else had happened. Any noise would startle me & I was a mess. Sleep issues, the whole nine yards. I couldn't go on like that anymore. I called my MD and went in. He told me I had a form of PTSD. He put me on an antidepressant which also helps with generalized anxiety disorder. I got in with a therapist & started weekly sessions.. I also started going to Al Anon meetings every Friday night. I spend time every day reading a Bible devotion & I pray. And pray. I'm working the 12 steps & I read Al Anon literature. I've found that working an Al anon program, & I mean really working it has helped me immensely. When I start getting anxious I try to stop the thoughts by getting busy, praying for God to help me through it, deep breathing, & rationalizing with myself. And i try to exercise every day. I make some time for me now. I've been everyone's caregiver for so long. I still have a long way to go but I'm getting there. Baby steps. I keep telling myself that things have to get better. I try my hardest to stay positive, but it's hard. I really do try to turn everything over to God. but it's been the most difficult lesson to learn. I just keep trusting He'll get me and my family through all this. You're not alone. I promise. Hang in there. Try to let go and let God.