Thread: Is this it?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

It is always tough to welcome someone to this forum because of the reasons they come here. But I'm glad you found us. We all understand what it's like to love someone addicted.

Meth is a tough one. All drug addition is tough. Allforcnm is right.....although it may be hard to see right now. He is not using "at you" and he is not choosing drugs over you and your daughter. Drug addiction doesn't work like that. He chose to use initially but addiction takes over.

I hope that he will choose to pursue recovery....but unfortunately, he's got to want it. And often there are a lot of consequences along the way.

So......what do you do? Get support wherever you can. SR is a great resource. Individual counseling (make sure they have experience with addiction though.....I've heard some real nightmare stories about therapists who don't have a clue about addiction). Support groups are a good resource (Nar-Anon is for friends and families of addicts but if there is not a meeting near you, Al-Anon or CoDA are similar fellowships).

My son is a recovering meth addict. The irrational behavior, flash anger, paranoia are all very typical. It can be very frightening to be around them. If your husband feels the need to leave for the time being, that may not be a bad thing although I'm sure it feels terrible for you. It will give you some time to find the resources you need.

We are very big on self care around here. Taking care of ourselves and allowing the addict to feel the consequences of their use is important for both parties.

Take care of you. You are not alone.

gentle hugs
ke