View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nowheretoturn1

Need advice to help my sister

Hi I am new to this site, but after almost 10 years of trying to get help for my sister who is 40 I just have found there is no help out there. She is currently on a binge, not having had one for 7 months which is the longest ever, usually only last about 3 months. The binges last from 3 to 8 days. When she stops she cries, goes to doctor, says she wants help, gets tablets to help with the dt's and never bothers to get counselling or go to aa meetings. She does drink moderately in between, rarely stays off it totally, so it is hard to understand what clicks in her brain every now and again that sets her off on a binge. In my eyes she has a good life. She has a very loving partner, a lovely house, a full time job, a family that love her despite being at their wits end with worry and she goes on plenty of holidays every year as they have an apartment in the sun. The one thing she does lack is a best friend, which I think is very sad. I never thought she would make it to her 40th but she did, she is due to turn 41 in 9 days and I am worried that she isn't going to make this one. She is due to return back to work tomorrow, but she has been drinking now for 5 days and has just bought another bottle of wine. She is at our mums house and mum is in her 60's and just doesn't know what to do with her. She went to off licence in dirty vomit covered track bottoms, vest top and slipper boots and it is in her partners place of work. It is just so sad. Her partner rang a rehab centre to see if he could pay for her to get help, but they said she would have to sober up and ring herself. Basically I just want to know is there actually no help out there and how on earth do we get her sober again. Sorry to ramble on but this is just a dry short version, I will appreciate any responses as we are all feeling so helpless at the minute, many thanks :-(