Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
summer2013

Newpower,
I am 5 days sober today and have put off sobriety because I couldn't afford rehab either but after 27 years of being a practicing alcoholic and letting my life just fall away the last couple years, I decided that I have no choice but to quit or I will not live long. Too many close calls and watched my dad and best friend (only 38) die this year from their drinking, leaving kids behind. I decided to be open with my doctor and I was given a vitamen B shot (as our bodies I guess lack that when we are heavy drinkers) and a prescription for Clonazapam (in the same class like Valium which lasts longer and deals with the same receptors your brain deals with alcohol, so it kind of "tricks" your brain to thinking it's still getting alcohol so you don't go through withdrawels so badly). This combo is what they use if you are going to detox from home. I think we all need counseling as part of this too as we all drink to cover up from something. If you need rehab though and don't feel you can do this from home, there are some low cost or no cost programs but some have a waiting list. Not sure where you are living but there are some available. Praying for you and hope you find what you need!!!