Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ersatzmatriarch

hey fixable...

i'm assuming you live with your mom, and that's why her drinking has such an impact on you right now? i can understand how difficult it must be to get sober in a place where there is heavy drinking going on... but your sobriety has to come from you and for you. tying up your chances on whether or not your mom quits is dangerous. if she doesn't quit, will you not quit either?

if sobriety is what you need or want, you'll have to do any and everything you can to get it, regardless of what others do or don't do.

i mean, i think it's definitely worth a shot to talk to her honestly about this, and something great (her not drinking) may come of it... but you need to make a plan to make sobriety work for you if she doesn't.

there are a lot of recovery plans, and not all of them involve meetings. if you feel that meetings would be essential to your recovery, they are only an hour long... maybe you could find one to hit before or after work each day. is there any chance of finding another place to live?

i just don't want to see you hang your chance at sobriety on what she may or may not do. if she is an alcoholic, she may not want anything to do with sobriety. then again, if you're open and honest with her, she may. only talking to her will give you that answer... but you need to find your path to sobriety regardless of the outcome of that conversation.

i'm sending you thoughts of strength... i hope it goes well with your mom, and i hope you can stay on this journey even if it doesn't.