Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

My family are big drinkers and have proved to be quite inconsiderate about my sobriety. I think they think I am over reacting but I have enough faith in what I am doing now to dismiss that. I think for the most part they believe me but they continually talk about how little they drank on certain occasions, y'know, the 'I hardly drink much these days' conversations which we probably all did when we were trying to kid ourselves. This probably sounds terribly immature but if they cast doubt on my drinking problem I throw in the odd 'serious consequence' story. Stuff about my nerve damage, or my crippling anxiety. And I also occasionally say how things have improved since quitting... But I try not to act self righteous about it, and the number one golden rule... never interfere, criticise their drinking, ever. They won't thank you for it and thinking back I never really cared for that type of criticism myself. What you can do is get out of their post haste as soon as it gets too much. Anticipate it as much as possible and don't let yourself get in a situation where they are drunk and you're feeling defensive.