Thread: Day 23 & Step 2
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

Congrats thekl0wn it sounds like you are doing great!

Having said that I want to point something out that I hope helps in some way.

Right now, my major struggle is with other's stories. I have this guilty feeling... Others have been through so much, and I just feel so guilty that I haven't hit rock bottom. Sure, I've had low spots, but I feel that I'm getting into this before I've lost control 100%. It also scares me that this same feeling will one day lead me back to drinking. I guess that's where the "one day at a time" comes into play.
OK, first remember that we are striving for "spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection". In step one we are admitting we are powerless over alcohol. I take that to mean completely powerlessness. You can't think you are 99% powerless because that leaves a small bit of doubt in your mind. I've heard some old-timers say that the only part of the steps that need to be done perfectly is the first half of the first step. The way I look at it, even if I was able to control my drinking some of the time I knew that some of the time I couldn't. I never knew which time I could or couldn't therefore I was 100% powerless over it.

I just wanted to say that in hopes that it will relieve any guilt you have over quitting before hitting rock bottom. You should be grateful not to have waited until you lose everything before you got sober.