Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi, fedup, and welcome.

I would guess I'm not the only one patiently reading your post and NOT asking myself "what the heck is your problem?" Anyone married to an active alcoholic has a problem--usually many, many problems, of the type you just described.

Yes, there are alcoholics who recover and who are able to repair their marriages--particularly when the spouse also is in recovery from the effects of living with alcoholism. The problem for you is that your husband appears to be nowhere near ready to quit drinking. He may NEVER be ready. And until he does decide to recover, it most assuredly will get worse. And worse. And worse.

He doesn't drink because of his job, or because of his stress. He drinks because he is an alcoholic.

My suggestion to you is that you get yourself to Al-Anon, and start working on your own recovery. You don't have to make any decisions immediately, but recovery will help you to clear your head so you can make the best decisions for your own future.

I'm glad you are not considering children as long as he is drinking--that is something that should be postponed until he has been SOLIDLY sober for a good long time (well over a year). Living in an alcoholic household is horrible for kids.

Stick around, keep reading and posting. Glad you're here.