Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DecadesEnd

I know I'm doing the right thing but it still sucks.

So....for 15 years i've tolerated the nonsense and chaos of my alcoholic husband. We tried counseling, he went until they told him he would have to stop drinking to save our marriage. Then he said he didn't 'need' couseling, he could quit on his own. Then he 'quit' only to start again. Too many broken promises and relapses. Not only is he a hateful drunk but he's every bit as nasty sober. Not much difference between the two. Except I rarely see the sober guy. He weighs less than I do and his skin hangs off his body. And to be honest, I can't find a lot that is attractive about him. He almost grosses me out. (I feel horrible admitting that). I am disgusted by him (again-horrible). He's a control freak about everything I do and accuses me of every infraction a person could commit. I can't even leave my house without question. He has such high expectations of everyone, but none for himself. He expects everyone around him to adhere to the expectations he himself, chooses not to.
So, I've informed him he is going to give me our house (we own it free and clear) and leave. I will not ask him for child support or try to keep our children from him (he's a decent Dad despite-but I will be asking he abstain from drinking when it's his visitation time)). In lieu of child support I just want the only home our kids have ever known. And lets face it, it's in midwest suburbia, his share of the profit isn't going to touch what his child support obligation would be. I am financially capable of taking care of the kids without his financial help (because i've been doing it myself for years anyway).
BUT....I don't hate the man. I realize he has a problem he is NOT willing to correct. And now it is impossible to save our relationship. It has been ruined, torn into pieces and set on fire. I can barely stand to look at him. He has no family and I am confident he will die early like his father who was also an alcoholic. But I can't trade my life and my happiness and that of my children for him. I love him yes. But only because he's the father of my children. I have no romantic feelings toward him whatsoever. I can barely tolerate him to be honest. But I have great compassion for him and I do care what happens to him for the sake of our kids. I am no longer willing to deprive myself of a healthy and stable relationship. I want a fulfilling relationship. I want a loving relationship. I want a 'normal' relationship. I don't want to Mother another man or take care of another man. For once I would like to be a priority.
But I am having a really hard time struggling with the fact that I am all he has. Lord knows what will happen to him when he is out there on his own. How do you guys deal with that guilt? How do you deal with knowing that they are going to suffer? Not that I am willing to trade my freedom and happiness for it. But it definitely comes with a hefty price tag. How do you tell yourself it's no longer your problem and walk? He has no one. Not a single soul in his corner. It used to be me. But I am becoming a bitter person that I neither like or recognize. And I can't be that person. So how do you deal with the feelings of guilt and knowing that basically, you're throwing the addict to the wolves?
I'm really struggling with that.