View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
melissa6381

V, holding you in my thoughts. So in awe of your strength and grace <3

Goose drunk people are super annoying. I worked 7 years in a college sports bar and now at a fancy restaurant. When I was bartending for those 7 years it took a toll on me- all I did everyday was talk and deal with very drunk college kids. You cant even imagine the stories i have and the things I've seen. Looking back I dunno how I did it for so long.

Now a days at the fancy place it's much more unusual to have someone get hammered but it's always weird when I have a nice customer who after a few turns into a jerk by the end of the night.

Sometimes I think about how my job and drinking are so intertwined. I grew up in a house where alcohol was always present and I resented my dad for it. Started as a hostess in a restaurant when I was 19 and worked my way up to bartender within 2 years. I bartended there for 3 years, the college bar for 7, and then went in as a bartender at the place I'm at now. Oddly, at my current job the servers make more $ than the bartenders so I followed the money and started serving right around the time I got sober but occasionally still get scheduled a bar shift which doesn't really trigger me because I've never drank while working... but I am a recovered alcoholic who sells the poison that I spent my life struggling with. It's all very strange.

I was telling my coworkers that its easier for me to not drink than it is for me to stop drinking once I've started. I can be selling wine all night at work with no trigger but once we get to the taco bar down the street after work and everyone starts ordering beers I feel that familiar pang of addiction kick in.

Anyways. That's why I work so hard on my craft business- as much as I deal with selling booze- ultimately that part of my life doesn't make sense anymore and I want out.