Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Mustdoit View Post
I am a functioning alcoholic. I have just stopped drinking 12 days ago after years of daily (evening only) drinking of too much wine. I have tried to cut down before, sometimes after a short abstinence but it always builds up so realise I need to stop. First few days were very difficult. I feel good but it feels very strange and not real, wine was a big part of my life. I am going for a meal tonight so another hurdle, I feel tense and a bit scared. I keep saying 'one drink too much' and I am determined but my habits were very ingrained and I know it will be weird to not drink.
Those first few social outings without booze can be weird, but each time you do it, and dont give in, the easier it gets. It also builds confidence and self esteem to face your fears, which keeps is on the right path. You will find its actually better to be clear headed and not drunk at these things, because you can enjoy yourself, go home, and wake up feeling great. Sure as hell beats waking up to an outbox of texts to ex-lovers sent the night before, and people calling you to remind you of the ass you made of yourself the night before. LORD KNOWS I DONT MISS THAT, lol.

Long story short, it will be weird at first, but you get used to it. Eventually you will be able to go to dinner and not even think about the booze.