View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Florence

I was just thinking about that because I was advising my DD27 on whether or not she should take a job for financial stability or continue her freelance gig as a graphic designer.
I do both. I have the boring corporate job, and the things I do for fun and money. Someone has to carry insurance and that's me. My AH always held out for the job he'd love that was more about his ego than money, and he often ended up underpaid, underemployed, or unemployed. I'm a highly creative person that has always had a "side-hustle" and I figure that's what nights and weekends are for.

From personal experience, if you plan to do the Etsy thing, make it something that's really cool, easy to replicate over and over, that is sellable at a decent price point, but ships cheaply. I saw someone who makes suckers with faux spiders and planets inside of them and thought that was brilliant. Funny t-shirts, trendy jewelry. I've had great luck on eBay selling small vintage and antique items -- think jewelry, handkerchiefs, small purses, compacts, anything that will fit in a drawer and ship in a padded envelope (under $5 shipping). It's great fun, but a lot of your invested money gets tied up in "inventory." If you ever want to chat about it, let me know.