View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2granddaughters

Originally Posted by tired28 View Post
I am so happy with my progress thus far, but scared at the same time. I was suppost to go to a meeting this week but didn't go because I knew I wouldn't drink that night anyways. I have gone to AA in the past but I didn't feel like it was my cup of tea so much. I only went a few times and have never gone long enough to get a sponser. I was just wondering what sponsers actually do and if u think the chances of someone getting sober with-out AA is possible.
I guess it depends what you mean by sober... if you mean dry (not drinking) it is possible.

I had months of dry in the past based on a bet or to get my wife off my back.
I wasn't drinking but I was miserable .. a ticking time-bomb .... that eventually went and got drunk again.
Good and drunk because I had some catching up to do.
I never really quit drinking, I just postponed it.

The only thing that got me sober and keeps me sober is commitment to Alcoholics Anonymous. For me (and millions of others) AA treats not only the alcohol but the alcoholism.

Please Google and read "AA HOW IT WORKS" and you will find a simple solution in that 1 page document.

I knew I needed help with my drinking when I was 20 yrs old and I'm almost 70 now. I have 50 yrs experience in failure and success.
Recovery takes years of doing. We should check in every 5 yrs or so to let folks know how it's going .....

All the best in whatever program you choose. AA will be there for you if needed.

Bob R