View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GracieLou

Originally Posted by tired28 View Post
I am so happy with my progress thus far, but scared at the same time. I was supposed to go to a meeting this week but didn't go because I knew I wouldn't drink that night anyways.
The AA program is not only about your desire to stop drinking. It is also about helping others to do the same. There are times I did not feel like going or maybe I was just being lazy or maybe I did not feel the need for meeting because I, like you, did not feel I was going to drink that night.

I go not only to keep me sober but help others to do the same. What if every member of an AA meeting felt the same. I am not going to drink tonight so I am not going to go. Who would be there? Who is going to welcome that scared and shaky person to get through another 24 hours.

Today I am so grateful that AA is there. I am so grateful that there are those that are unselfish enough to be willing to continue to create groups and make the commitment to be there for others like me.

I have gone to AA in the past but I didn't feel like it was my cup of tea so much. I only went a few times and have never gone long enough to get a sponsor. I was just wondering what sponsors actually do and if u think the chances of someone getting sober with-out AA is possible.
The program works if you work it. You have to have the desire to quit drinking. That is the only requirement for membership in AA. After that then you have to be willing to do the 12 step program and put in the effort. To put your trust in the fellowship as a whole and then to place it with a sponsor.

My sponsor is a mentor, a sounding board, a person to bounce my thoughts off of and the person that takes me through each step. We read the step and then discuss it one on one. She answers my questions when I don't understand. She is an alcoholic just like me. She has also become my friend. I trust her.

She thanks me for coming into her life. As we read the steps and the parts of the big book she tells me this is a reminder to her and she needs that.

I am a single mom of 2 young children and for me to get out at night is damn near impossible. My son is 9 and I just don't feel comfortable bringing him with me. And I don't have anyone to babysit ( when I was drinking I did it at home). I have made plans tonight to babysit my friends daughters so I would not have the option to drink.
Can the friend you babysit for, babysit for you?

Removing the option to drink is not the same as making the decision to not drink. For me it may have kept me from drinking that night but I would have thought about it and wished I could have the entire night.

Tomorrow night however is the TEST. Its my cousins stag and my friends 30th birthday. I have planned not to attend either. My friend is complaining that I will be there and making jokes about me getting sober. Even speaking to her yesterday had me questioning ...Well maybe I could just get a six pack and that's it. I know this is a terrible way to think. THAT SCARED ME. I guess I'm just feeling like, what if I miss all these things and end up drinking again in a week or two and I just end up looking stupid. I know I can probably do this, but I just worry what will happen when the (high) of being sober so to speak wears off. Or does it....
What you decide to do is just that, your decision. If you really feel you are going to fail anyway, then what are you going back and forth about?

I am not saying that if you decide to stay sober you will not have a relapse anymore then I can say that if you decide to stay sober, work a recovery program you will stay sober for the next 80 years.

This all comes down to you and what lengths you are willing to go through to get sober and remain sober.