View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

I think you may be right. I can tell you that there are several things in my life that FELT like "disasters," which, a few years later, with hindsight, turned out to be events without which something really good would never have happened.

Small example: I was taken out of a work assignment (which came with a title) and "temporarily" moved to something different. I didn't want to do it, but I was the "good soldier" and was assured that it was temporary, that my good attitude would be taken into consideration when other opportunities in the office came up. Instead, during a major reorganization, numerous people with WAY less seniority were promoted into the title I no longer had, and I was moved into an assignment I hated even more. I was VERY upset, complained (which I never did in most of my career), but the fact was, the people making the decisions didn't like me.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I decide to retire, and I wind up with what I consider to be a dream job, based in no small part on the recent experience I had in the assignment I was so upset about. IOW, the whole thing worked to my benefit, even though the people making the decisions in my former office could not have cared less about how I was treated there.

Obviously the ultimate good does not always appear so clearly. BUT I have found that if I keep my focus and trust that things will work out the way they should, I have much more peace in my life than if I nurture hurts and resentments.