View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
0percentABV

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
As of right now, the idea of drinking again absolutely does not appeal to me, because the wretched hangover fresh in my mind.
But what happens if after another couple months I give in to the sneaky devil again?
Write down how you felt while it's still fresh in your mind. Remember that feeling. Do what you can to remind yourself that this is the way it will ALWAYS end up, at the very least that is. Think about it. If three glasses does that to you then think if you really went off the wagon. The pain that will be waiting for you at the end will be epic. That foresight helps me all the time. Just thinking of that ill, gutrot feeling, the slug I become when hungover keeps me from slipping. Then I think of how I feel when I wake up now. I think about how well I sleep and how I don't have to tackle the day with hangover.

Don't get me wrong, I battled for years trying to reign in the beast and that whole time I kept thinking about the good times I had with booze. But then I started to write a private blog/diary. I started after my first real attempt to quit to document my journey into sobriety but I fell off the wagon 4 months later but kept on writing. That whole time I kept writing and rereading what I wrote. A year to the day I started my blog I hit my rock bottom and I've been sober ever since. But during my time off the wagon I would read what I wrote when I was sober compared to what I wrote when back on the bottle and it was obvious that my life was so much more positive sober. There really wasn't any reason for me to drink, I came to the conclusion that the only thing I liked about drinking anymore was the initial buzz, the first few hours. After that it was trying to maintain it then trying to get over it then trying to control it and ended back in the same spot everytime.

And really with your post here you have documentation of what three glasses of wine does. So whenever you feel the need go to your profile here, click on stats then click on posts by this user and read what you wrote. Read it even if you have no cravings. Just remember the day when three glasses of wine made you feel like crap because that is your reality from here on out.