View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ArcticSA

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Well, I suppose if nothing else you (and ALL OF US) can chalk this one up to a lesson learned. I sometimes am guilty of thinking that someday, I might be able to drink once or twice per year - on holidays or new year's or whatever. Your story reminds me to be vigilant. There really IS no such thing as moderation, is there?

As for your current situation, I understand the uneasiness. I too have been "on thin ice" recently and started to wonder where in the heck my sense of stability disappeared to. Makes me nervous just like you.

It sounds like a re-commitment is in order. A plan, a goal, a declaration of some kind. It's like when you sign a lease or something - you don't just sign a lease and then think "I will probably skip a few rent payments but things will be okay". Nope - you will find a way to make that payment, rain or shine, in good times and bad.

In my experience, I told a few close friends and family. I am now "out" as an alcoholic - I am accountable. I can't sneak a drink at family weddings, I can't go out with my old buddies to bars - they know this is serious business for me. Sure, it's led to some struggles in my social life, and some internal soul-searching. But at 11.5 months sober, it's worked so far.

Thanks for sharing your story and good luck.
Oh boy....that sounds awful. To tell friends and family...it would certainly work though, I will have to ponder on it.