Thread: Day One
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

Funny thing with me is I seem to be developing LESS of a tolerance for alcohol as time goes on. I can no longer stomach mixed drinks or hard alcohol, the smell of wine is nauseating, and now even just a few beers leaves me feeling just horrible the next day (I've felt the same way I feel today after just two beers the night before!). Even though I should consider this a good thing I guess that will possibly help me stick to sobriety, I can't help thinking that it's odd. Seems like most people have increased alcohol tolerance as they go along?
NCG,

In general, tolerance for alcohol tends to be shaped like a bell curve if you put it on a graph. When you first start drinking tolerance is low. The more one drinks the higher their tolerance gets until it peaks. Then tolerance starts dropping as the disease progresses. Search for "alcoholism" "tolerance" (and possibly "stages") and you'll get a lot of info on the progression of alcoholism. Most articles I have read say alcohol tolerance starts to decrease in middle to late stages of alcoholism.

*Not saying this is the case for you or anyone else, just some general info on the subject of tolerance. It has to do with how your body processes alcohol.