Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

I have to chime in here with my Dr. Laura advice. This passage is from "10 Stupid Things Women Do To Mess Up Their Lives":

Chapter 3: Stupid Devotion

My Acid Test for Genuine Love

I feel certain that what many women call love, under so many obviously ugly, hurtful and sometimes downright dangerous situations, is more about passion and promise and fantasies and desperate dependencies and fears about taking on alternatives.

Real love is a long marination of qualities having to do with respect, admiration, appreciation, character, affection, cooperation, honor, and sacrifice. I ask all these "But I love him" women the same question "If you were a parent, would you introduce this kind of guy - or even this guy - to your daughter?"

Funny how the answer is always an emphatic No!

And lastly:

The love stuff isn't an omen or divine directive - so stop wallowing in it! If you find your rational sense being overridden by mushy feelings...know that you are probably on the wrong track.

Oh wait! One more good one from the same chapter!

Past hurts don't excuse present cowardice...I'm not denying the negative impact of early family crises, disruption, or destructiveness. History is not destiny. You have free will to overcome, grow, change: Invent Yourself.