View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LetG0

Thumbs up June 1, 2013 - Life Begins Again

Hi friends,

Glad to have stumbled across this site. Hope to make a lot of new friends and find plenty of support while giving it as well

I had my last drink on May 31, 2013.

There was not a 'rock bottom' event for me. My wife and I just experienced a moment of clarity and decided to chat about giving it up. I do not want to take that road, I do not want to cause her any more suffering due to my actions.

I knew that if I continued on the same path, it would eventually bring an end to our marriage (BTW I'm 29, we will be married two years in July). Drink or have an incredible life? Seems like an easy choice, if you weren't an alcoholic, its a no brainer! But it was a difficult jump to make, for sure.

Our relationship has not been the same as it used to be: full of romance, happiness, and carefree. We needed that back.

So, I could try to be a moderate drinker (like so many of us dream to be) or I could just step up and do it the only way

Already, our relationship is improving every day. My head is clearing more every day.

The cravings are sometimes debilitating, but I chug a bottle of water, think about a happy future (or a bad, ugly time - "do you want this to happen again?") and let it pass. I'm taking L-Glutamine the past couple days and wow, it seems to be doing wonders.

If I didn't have such a great support system in my wife: my guardian angel, and my friends & family, this would be much, much harder. But each day feels easier than the last. I know there will be rough ones in the future, but I can do it

So Hi, I'm Devin, 29, I live in NYC, and I'm an alcoholic.