Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mrosko

Advice on navigating a relationship with a recovering A

Hello All,

I have been seeing a man who has recently made the decision to become sober after struggling with alcohol for 10 years. Initially, I asked him if he needed space from me to sort out his life, and he told me that he still wanted me to stick around. He has also told me that he is doing his best to keep things moving forward between us, but that he is under a lot of stress regarding his therapy and rehab, so he often feels numb. I fully expect him to have worse days than others, and I understand his feelings of stress and possibly even depression. However, ever since he has made his decision to become sober, he has been very distant with me. I still see him 1-2 times per week, and like he mentioned, he is still trying to move things forward between us, but his distance has been quite hard on me, as I do not hear from him nearly as often anymore, and when I do, he often seems so cold. I am hoping that someone can offer me some sound advice on how to navigate this situation so that I can offer support to the man I really care about, but also keep myself sane in the meantime. Is it normal for a recovering A to become distant with his loved ones for a while, and what else do you think I can expect regarding his recovery? I am glad that he says he would like me to stick around, but his mixed signals are very hard on me. What is the best way to navigate this situation?