Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Turnz505 View Post
hello, pretty ashamed it had to come to this. i broke my sobriety and caved into a beer.. a few weeks ago I think. That first beer was pretty good, only had one and called it a night.. Next night that one didn't do it for me and the craving took over. A few nights later I was buying tall cans and and sipping whiskey.. a few nights ago I ran off trail, drunk, got lost in the alaskan wilderness, drunk, with only some water and a few beers.

so, after bushwhacking through thorns and bear country for five to six miles i got rescued by rafters on the side of a river. I am working in a wilderness lodge on the edge of a very small town in Alaska so everyone knows about the drunk kid from lower 48, and the lead raft guide knows my boss. I got chewed out by management at my job and the line has been drawn- if I drink anywhere on property I lose my job and after my beer and whiskey binge I don't even have the money to get to anchorage let alone the lower 48.. So its time to quit I guess, now or never.. I'm pretty ashamed that it always has to come to this for me to quit but maybe it's just what I need

Hey man, take it for what it is..........I think it was meant to happen. You were lucky to survive it, and those memories may be just what you need to really kick your sobriety goal into full throttle mode. Sometimes it take a horrendous event to catapult us in the right direction.

For most of us, we have to hit rock bottom or experience a big scare to start taking recovery seriously. If everyone was able to easily quite, then it wouldnt be such a big deal. Consider what happened to you to be a blessing, not a curse.