Thread: Where to turn?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
deeker

Well for one thing, AA does not require you to believe in God. They speak of a power greater than yourself. Why is that? Well obviously I couldn't stop, moderate , control by myself, no matter how hard I tried.

I of my own power did not have an answer to my problem. But AA did. Here was a group of people who had found an answer to their drink problem and were living reasonably happy lives. So AA is a higher power for many.

I can choose any power as long as it is not me. That didn't work and I proved it again and again. Together in AA I was able to do what I could not do alone.

That is why SR works for a lot of people too. Because we are using a power that was greater than what we were using. The strength and encouragement of others. The experience of those who have been there and found a way out.

I was pretty desperate when I came back this time, my way does not work. Is your way working?

I had to trash all my preconceived ideas about AA and give it a college try. Not a week, not 2 weeks, not a month.

I took their suggestions. You know why they are so repetitous? Cuz if you take them they work time and time again. That is why The Big Book says
Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.

Simple suggestions- meetings, a sponsor(someone to guide you through the steps, service work(gets us out of self obsession).

Pain is a great motivator, perhaps when you are in enough emotional pain you will be willing to do whatever it takes. I wish I had not waited so long.

None of this information is new or my own. Historically it has worked for millions since AA started in 1935. AA states that its "primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety"

Not to tell you what God or higher power to believe in. That is strictly up to you.