View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MeSoSober

Originally Posted by Krodos View Post
Just try talking to them, you don't have to express any interest or ask them out to start off with.
This -- I think you're psyching yourself out a little. A lot. My advice would be rather than to think of "pursuing" a friendship or relationship with a woman, just let it happen in the same way you'd develop a friendship with a guy.

Oh, and don't assume that because no woman has approached you that that means no woman has been interested. I know I've been attracted to PLENTY of guys that I never told about it.

I also think a LOT of women like shy/introverted guys.

Also, I would be wary of blaming your past drinking on feelings of failure or being unattractive -- especially eight years' worth of drinking. It just kinda sounds like not taking responsibility for letting eight years pass before you (a) tried to quit or (b) sought help for your feelings of low self-worth. I hope that doesn't sound judgy.

And you indeed ARE about to find yourself in a primo place to interact with women. I hear you on the social anxiety (you're not alone). So what's your plan for keeping that under control? Can you talk with a professional about how to cope with or overcome that?