View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lillamy

Hi lostmunki,

You are both where you need to be tonight: he with people who understand being addicted and choosing to relapse, you with people who have loved an addict and know the pain you're going through.

There's a saying here that I've hung on to a lot: he isn't drinking at you, he's just drinking. We're in dangerous territory when we start thinking that an alcoholic's drinking has anything to do with us (as in "how could he do this is he loves me?") or that they should come to us first (as in "why didn't he let me help him?")

Also - and I'm saying this with lots of love and concern... Did you say he had been sober for two months? That's not a very long time. Most times, recovering addicts are advised to not enter into a new relationship for a year after their sobriety date - not for any other reason than that recovery is a full-time pursuit. No, his relapse isn't your fault, but for your protection and his, I would reconsider this relationship and probably revisit the possibility of being involved once he has at least a yea of solid sobriety and recovery under his belt.

And I'm sorry you're hurting. Just know my thoughts come from being married to an alcoholic for 20 years. It's not a pretty life, doesn't matter how great the alcoholic is between drinking binges.