Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

I'm not sure categorizing alcoholics would have positive benefits. We're all nuts enough without trying to figure out if we're type A and need one thing, or type B and need another. And forget about the discussions I can imagine regarding others, "Well, you're only a type A. If you were a type B like me then you'd understand...". I also think it's real easy to shift from one type to another.

I think people who seek treatment should be given an objective overview of all that's available to them, and then they should make their own choice. I think there are also 2 keys to getting sober, regardless of the method someone chooses. Desire, and willingness. Lack of either one of those is what I hear coming out of most people who don't ever attain long term sobriety. Either they're not sure they want to stay away, or they're unwilling to really try what's put in front of and suggested to them. They stick their toe in the water and say, nope, that won't work for me. I think it takes months of a really open mind and solid commitment to something to see if it really is or isn't a fit. For most people in active alcoholism the cure isn't going to look or feel like a fit, until it actually does the job it needs to. Our alcoholic selves will fight what will help us to the grave, which is it's goal.

But getting back on topic, categorizing alcoholics could also cause all kinds of problems in AA, especially regarding the only requirement for membership. Next would come people saying, "Hi, I'm Joe, a type B alcoholic"... which could instantly lose the interest of a room full of type As.

Thems are the first thoughts that came to mind on all this, for me.