Old 06-08-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Maylie

I think the more categories there are the more opportunities people have to do the number one newcomer mistake "Oh I'm nowhere as bad as so and so" and then the newcomer continues to drink because he/she is not as bad as so and so and therefore he/she can't be an alcoholic.

I feel as rehabs, detoxes, and self help book revenues go up, the more complicated things get. I miss the days when things were simple. If your drinking is causing negative side affects, if you have to ask yourself if you have a problem, and if when you try to stop drinking you can't stop despite the negative consequences such as legal, financial, and health problems then you need to quit drinking.

I know it might seem over simplified, but when dealing with the addict brain which is most of the times not able to grasp reality because of all the lies we tell ourselves to protect our addiction..sometimes the more straightforward the approach the less excuses and comparing the newcomer does.

When people ask whether they have a drinking/substance abuse problem sometimes I want to say well give it up for half a year and if you can't then you have a problem. People that don't have a substance problem don't struggle not to use/drink when it is obvious that drinking/using is causing problems in any aspect of their lives never mind in multiple aspects.