Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
360shoes

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Thanks to everybody for your responses. There is a lot to think about here.

This sounds great, but are you talking about making amends here, or something else? I'm not clear on what you mean by "did". Thanks so much!
Most of those were in the hardest to do bucket. Some are still in it. I found out that some people I hurt were pretty forgiving and all it took was a I'm so sorry I hurt you. Some people need some time. Some have moved on. I understand they don't trust me. I wouldn't trust me either. They need time to see my life has changed and I have changed. The nicest thing I can do for them is give it to them. If I owed somebody money, I apologized and gave them what I could. Even if it was only $5. I don't hide from stuff now which in turn doesn't make things worse mostly.

I have a couple of friends that were just scared when I quit because it felt to them they would be losing me. People are scared of change even when it is positive. I just had to show them that just because I don't drink it doesn't mean I don't care about them. I show them I do in ways that I can. They were not big drinkers like me but they enjoy the Friday relaxing with a bottle of wine. It's just not my thing anymore. I care about them but I also care about me so I take extra steps with them like call them more often but don't do the traditional Friday night ritual I used to do with them. They are adjusting just like me.

I don't know what collateral damage you have to clean up but for me, I just had to do my best at trying and accept that some folks need time or will move on. You don't know what the future holds. No one does. Do the right thing now and let it play out and accept it for what it is now. Keep focusing on how you want your life to be. Things will end up better in whatever better means. Sometimes we don't know that in advance. Probably most times.

The only difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.

Someone else's quote but I always loved that one. It reminds me that there really is no mystery in how to be a better me.

You will be okay. Keep your eye on the life you want and deserve. Do the right thing today and let tomorrow be what it will be. Rinse and repeat.