View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
HuskyPup
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by Kirashi View Post
Yes, I think there is excessive self-deprecation in such meetings. I have stated openly before that people need to strike a balance. I'm at the point now where people can't tell me I'm full of crap because I'm visibly doing far better now.

As for the secular group thing... I really suggest you have a few months before you start preparing to start a group. It's not going to be good for morale if the group's leader keeps relapsing. I have never started a group of any sort, though I do aspire to be of particularly great service to furries and 'freethinkers' in a greater form. I just don't have the time or stability or endurance for new groups now.
I'd have to agree. One thing that helps me not to drink, and to feel I can do things in life, is to make lists about the things that are good about me. I have trouble believing in my talents and abilities, and have all my life struggled with esteem issues. Beating myself up by listing faults and defects only makes me feel more hopeless/helpless. It helps more to think that I'm OK, after all.

I agree it's best to have a good few onths under your belt before starting a group, as you say. And it's also very hard, at first, because you're struggling so much just to get by, at first, that you generally don't have the energy.