Thread: part of me
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I would say that the two voices in my head are at war with each other. One is the me who wants to stop wanting it. The other is an addict who tells me I will always want it so I might as well not fight it.

That one is a liar who will tell me anything to get what it wants - and all it wants is alcohol. It's a child who wants candy and can't understand why it can't have more. It has no real power, just a voice, so it tells me anything it thinks will get it more alcohol. It whines, begs, negotiates, promises, threatens, ridicules, chastises, demeans, and throws tantrums.

It's a liar.

I have to stop listening to its lies.

Tell it "NO". We can do this.
That annoying voice that tells you to give in because its inevitable or that you wont make it forever without alcohol is just the nasty demon addiction talking. The more you shut it down and overrule it, the weaker it gets. Weaker and weaker, until its barely noticeable. Of course, always keep your guard up because as soon as you get too comfy, it likes to come back and rear its ugly head again or play tricks by telling you" maybe things weren't that bad"," maybe you weren't addicted after all", "why not just 1 lil drink, since you clearly are now in control?". Then you are right back where you started and the cycle starts over. Always stay guarded. Eventually you learn to differentiate between your own feelings, thoughts, and emotions and those that are being fueled by your addict side. It takes time though.