View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
unsureoffuture

I am in the exact same situation with my DH. I visited a divorce attorney and got advice. I then saw a therapist to help sort out what I should do. The therapist I saw and a coworker who now works in addiction therapy both said I should confront my husband one last time and make it clear that if he does not get into a program and get help with his alcoholism that I will be filing for divorce. They didn't suggest adding a timeframe but I like it because it creates a sense of urgency. I did put it in writing with phone numbers to the local detox hospital program, AA and names and phone numbers of addiction therapist to follow the inpatient detox. I have my letter to ADH all typed up and ready to give to him this weekend. Since we have young kids I feel it is one last attempt to save the family before pulling the plug and filing for divorce. It helps me to feel I truly did everything I could to help the situation. I am also going ahead and getting my back-up plan to leave ready in case he doesn't agree or doesn't attempt to stay sober. This site has helped me tremendously since I found it. I feel stronger now and more in control. I know no matter what happens, I am going to be OK. I am hoping for the best and planning for the worst. Good luck in your attempts. It is tough but necessary for things to finally change.