View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
No one has a good reason to drink. Sure, people say they self-medicate for any number of reasons, but for all the people who use things like past abuse, depression, anxiety, financial trouble, relationship trouble, grief, loneliness, boredom, etc. as an excuse to remain addicted to a substance, there are an equal number of people with those same exact problems with the same or sometimes even greater severity who never become addicted to drugs or alcohol.

Two people can have the same horrific thing happen to them and respond completely differently.

Two people can also go through life and have nothing particularly traumatic happen to them, and they too can respond completely differently.

Hardship is not a precursor to addiction. Figuring out deep seated issues is not necessary for stopping either.

I think that you should arm yourself with a strategy for dealing with that moment when it comes. Expect that it will come and be ready, and you won't be blindsided.

ps you're not douchey xo