View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
FlyerFan
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
So you think their is a gene/genes that predispose a person to alcoholism? Not addiction, just alcoholism. For me that's hard to believe especially because there is no evidence that there is a genetic predisposition even to just addiction.

There been many rock bands where everyone at some point became an alcoholic or addict. That clearly wasn't genetics. IMO environment plays the whole role here. Why do some alcoholics have other alcoholics in the immediate family? It's learned behavior. I'm not holding my breath for proof of a genetic link.
No i didnt mean just alcoholism, addiction is a better word to use, thank you.

Environment has something to do with it as well but I can recall things from my very early childhood, behaviors of mine that were just completely inappropriate for any child and I had not yet been exposed to any of the alcoholics in my family. It was almost like I just had that personality from the get-go. I can't really explain it properly.

EDIT: I don't know for sure if there is a link but for me personally it would not surprise me. And if it turns out that there isn't one it doesnt really make a difference, we're still screwed up and need help. :rotfxko