View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
caboblanco

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
So you just think its a coincedence that in a family of 7 children, 5 of them are alcoholics? and their father was an alcoholic, and his siblings? Lol

Not trying to argue of course here but I have to agree with the others that I think it runs in families.

I think its a carrying thing, kind of like how people can carry the gene to have twins, and not have them but they can pass it on to their kids. Some get them and some dont...that makes sense in my case anyhow. :P
So you think their is a gene/genes that predispose a person to alcoholism? Not addiction, just alcoholism. For me that's hard to believe especially because there is no evidence that there is a genetic predisposition even to just addiction.

There been many rock bands where everyone at some point became an alcoholic or addict. That clearly wasn't genetics. IMO environment plays the whole role here. Why do some alcoholics have other alcoholics in the immediate family? It's learned behavior. I'm not holding my breath for proof of a genetic link.