View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marcher13

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I don't have any reason to drink, so I don't know what to work on when I stop. Does that actually make it more difficult? It seems absurd on the face of it, but I don't know any more.
Nons my story is similar -- there was no big reason to make me drink but a too quick, never-stopping mind liked the oblivion. At the moment I am on the run-up to 100 days and I think I am now understanding 'what to work on when [I] stop' and I think I'm doing it.

I hate to use the word as it's so hackneyed at the moment but what I've found is that I'm mindful and thinking outside my concerns. I do what I have to do for myself -- eat well, exercise, deep breathing then I am concentrating thoroughly on my family, my household, my work, my volunteer work. I'm working on (here's another hackneyed word) a better version of my life. By removing alcohol I'm able to fill my life with what I am already committed to. I can do things well and thoroughly and make room for more. I can go ahead with my life because I've taken off the shackles and I'm not looking back at them.

That's there for you too: you can work on your life, unshackled.

Alcoholism really made me insular, sobriety frees my mind and opens it so I can work on what's here now and what's possible.