Thread: Need an opinion
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

One year and three months is a long time to be carrying all that baggage. I don't know how you can stand it.

My windows of opportunity were only about three weeks before the obsession returned. That means I had only three weeks to take action before I was drinking again. That is what is meant by powerless. I had lost the power of choice in drink. To solve that problem I needed to be connected to a power greater than me through the steps. The firts step of which is step 4. If I waste time, the obsession returns and I drink.

I couldn't have done a step 4 on my own. I lacked the intellectual capacity. My sponsor helped me with every word. We spent a full day on it. The next day I took step 5.

Suggestions for your situation are that you have no time to waste. If your sponsor is unable to help you directly with step 4 and is leaving, and you have only one other AA in town, I suggest you buddy up with her and work together on your 4th steps. Woorking with others is essential to recovery anyway.

When it comes to the fifth, maybe a priest or doctor, even in a neighbouring town, would be better than nothing.

There is also AA loners, an online thing where you may find an online sponsor to help you.