Thread: update
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Tinks65

I feel the need to chime in because I have allowed my son to detox from heroin in my home three times .... the experience was not at all like was described above. Maybe it's because he hasn't been shooting for years. From what I've read heroin withdrawal is rarely fatal. Actually alcohol withdrawal is the worst. Most often if there are serious complications it is due to coexisting medical problems.

The first time we did we felt there were no other options. My husband had called around and found that the only hospital close by that did medical detox did not have a bed available and if they did it was $1000.00 a day.We were told to take him to the ER if things got bad. They didn't.

Yes I agree that rehabs and detoxes are big money and yes there is a reason. People like to make money!! I don't think for a second that everyone involved in substance abuse is in it for altruistic reasons. One only has to google substance abuse to come up with countless ads and 800 numbers. All with a caring someone on the other end of the line who will quote success rates and rave about their program. I had a guy call me 5 or 6 times after I had called for info. Telling me that I could use multiple credit cards or perhaps take a personal loan from a family member! Their 6 month program was $29,000.00!! They even offered that if relapse occurred within the first year the addict could come back for 3 months for free! How generous! There are plenty of nonprofits out there that are available. Money, Dr.s, psychologists are not the answer. I wish they were.

My son experienced sleeplessness, bone pain, chills, diarrhea but no vomiting ... he described it as the worst case of the flu times 100. When the physical symptoms subside the INTENSE cravings come. Once we were standing in our garage smoking a cig looking at a downpour of rain. He was telling me he needed to go and was about to walk out into the rain with no money, no phone, no clothes, raincoat etc. I didn't try to stop him I merely pointed out what would happen, that he may be able to steal something and even get to the hood for a fix before the police caught up with him and then he would just continue his detox in jail .. he didn't leave, it was difficult but he managed. Yes there are many experiences that are common in addiction, yes some have horror stories to tell but I am one to say that it wasn't a pleasant experience but it was not at all as bad as has been described. I believe each time he really wanted to get clean and that helped. He read a book called "Romancing Opiates" that he credits as a huge help to him the last time he kicked. It has quite a bit about opiate withdrawal. I haven't read it but plan to. I agree with those who have said "the addict has to really want it". Even then relapse is common. I also believe though that with each relapse the addict learns something new. As long as he or she is still struggling towards recovery there is hope, hell as long as there is breath in their body there is hope. No one wants to be an addict.

All this being said, I do have boundaries in place. While I allowed him to live here for two weeks while he waited for a bed in a nonprofit rehab last Aug. I don't think I will do that again. He had asked to move home multiple times before and we said no. I have always told him that as long as he is walking towards recovery I will help him in ways that are healthy for him and ME. That is why living here long term is not an option. It was temporary. At the time his choice was to go back to an apt with another heroin addict and hope to stay clean for two weeks while waiting for the bed, homeless shelter, or here. My husband and I decided to let him stay. I am glad I did. He was at the first place for 6 months. It was a faith based rehab. They did not allow them to talk about their addiction, no meetings, only bible study and clean living with a lot of structure. He left that place under the advice of his probation officer and is now in another nonprofit that utilizes the 12 step program. Two meetings a day, he has a sponsor, and is for the first time actually working the steps. He has been in and out of NA meetings for years but never embraced the program until now. He believes the combination of a faith program which allowed him to reconnect with the faith of his youth and now the 12 steps (which he and I both believe are grounded in scripture and faith as well) have given him real hope for a future.

Just my personal ESH ... hang in there, keep reading, pray, and do the best you can do each day.