View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AliceCat

Off the wagon. How to get back on?

Hi guys,

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place, so apologies if not!
First came to the site about 5 weeks ago after going to my doctor, who told me what I had already figured out. I'm an alcoholic.
I was drinking to fill up boredom and isolation. And I realised that I'd been doing this for 8 years. I'm 24.
Managed to stop the drinking after a couple of days if cutting down bit by bit.
Went to one AA meeting. Found it so helpful and lovely people, but I didn't go back. Thinking about it, there a few things I wasn't comfortable about... The greater power, the idea of people being powerless against alcohol.
My work were and are great. I have a weekly catch up with my line manager, who is so so nice.
But last week, I began drinking again. A binge on Tuesday, a drink on Wednesday, then a bigger binge on Saturday.
Last night I had a bottle of wine with dinner. Today I bought a bottle and can barely drink it, it's making me feel sick. I felt ill last night with it. Like my body's hit a brick wall and a sharp yet dull pain (like I need the loo) in my abdomen.
I get weekly counselling sessions at a local alcohol support service. On Saturday was my second appointment. She suggested 3 months complete abstinence. I felt physical panic.
I was doing so well. I don't know where to go.
I've been reading posts here for weeks and you guys seem great. If anyone can give me any advice, please. Please do.