View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

I can only tell you my experience. Never had a sleep problem until something in my life happened and I ended up with PTSD. Got over most of the problems, but couldn't sleep.

I'd told my dr., the first time I met him (he's left the practice, now have a female and told her everything, too) about my addiction history.

Went through ALL the sleep meds, finally found something that worked but built up a tolerance until the risk of upping the dose just didn't justify the side effects.

I was also underemployed or unemployed a lot of this time. I've since found steady work, recently graduated from college (again....3rd associate's degree) and realized I was almost exhausted enough to sleep.

I started taking something OTC, all natural, and it helped. I also started eating kiwi before I go to sleep after a recommendation here, and reading up on it in medical journals. Gee, it has all the stuff I was taking supplements for (magnesium, potassium, and calcium).

Long story short. Though I've yet to incorporate exercise into my daily schedule (working on that), I'm usually able to go to sleep.

I will admit, been dealing with this for a few years, but for now? It's working. I have a friend who has many years in recovery, a job that has irregular schedules, and has been through sleep studies.

She works through it, as do I. I just think being honest with your doctor about any addiction history is vital. My dr. also knows that lack of sleep leads me to a really dark place. I don't use, but it's a deep depression.

We've worked out something that works for now. I would have NEVER thought a fruit or anything OTC would help me, but it helps along with working with some pretty challenging situations.

Wishing you the best of luck and some good night's sleep

Hugs and prayers,

Amy