View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Kirashi

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
I've never understood all this trash-talking about the 'self'. Healthy ego function is the goal and cornerstone of pretty much all of modern psychology. And to get at this, one does need to focus on the 'self'. So I have never liked the way 12 step groups misuse the term. Many people who need to heal are not self-serving ego maniacs, but suffer from just the opposite: a lack of belief in the self, as opposed to an overestimation of it.

~

Also: No luck finding any groups around here that I can go to, that are secular...I'm still thinking of perhaps starting oe, but I'm wondering how much interest there would be. Has anyone ever tried to start a group, before, and what happened?
Yes, I think there is excessive self-deprecation in such meetings. I have stated openly before that people need to strike a balance. I'm at the point now where people can't tell me I'm full of crap because I'm visibly doing far better now.

As for the secular group thing... I really suggest you have a few months before you start preparing to start a group. It's not going to be good for morale if the group's leader keeps relapsing. I have never started a group of any sort, though I do aspire to be of particularly great service to furries and 'freethinkers' in a greater form. I just don't have the time or stability or endurance for new groups now.